A typical dental concern, especially among people over 50 years of age, is Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia. Dry mouth may occur due to several factors, including medications and illness, disease, nerve damage, chemotherapy, or other radiation therapy.
Although a dry mouth may not seem like a big deal, the saliva in your mouth does play a vital role in your oral health and overall wellness. It works to protect your tooth enamel from harmful bacteria, breaks down food particles to promote good digestion, and makes it possible for you to chew and swallow. A lack of saliva increases your risk of developing tooth decay and may prevent you from getting the nutrients you need.
Symptoms of dry mouth include:
- A sticky or a dry feeling in your mouth and throat
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or tasting
- A burning sensation in the mouth
- Cracked lips
- A dry, rough tongue
- Infection in the mouth
- Persistent halitosis (bad breath)
Our dentist will work to determine the cause of your dry mouth and provide appropriate treatment. In the meantime, we recommend that you:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks frequently, especially during meals
- Avoid drinks containing caffeine.
- To stimulate saliva flow, suck on sugar-free candy or sugar-free chewing gum.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products.
- Using a humidifier at night
- Take necessary steps to keep your mouth healthy (brush and floss regularly, and keep all your regular dental appointments)
Call the team at Miner Dental today to learn more about dry mouth treatments and schedule an appointment with our skilled dentist, Dr. Philip Miner. Our office address is 14500 San Pedro. St 200, San Antonio Tx 78232, and you can reach us at (210) 934-5265.